NORTHEAST TN MASTER GARDENER PROGRAM
“FAQs” AND OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
How many hours do I need?
MG Interns are required to report 40 hours volunteer service and 8 CEUs for certification.
Certified MGs are required to report 25 hours volunteer service and 8 CEUs for recertification.
Lifetime MGs are required to report a total of 15 hours of community service and /or CEUs.
Deadline for entry of hours is December 31 annually.
· Reporting hours earlier in the year is encouraged to reduce the workload late in the year. MG Interns can complete hours and receive their badge earlier at a NETMGA meeting (please notify Chris Ramsey). 50% of the MG’s required volunteer hours (40 or 25) should be in NETMGA approved projects. MG projects should not be conducted on private property.
· Can’t rake your neighbor’s leaves or do a landscape plan for a friend. Projects must take place in northeast Tennessee (Sullivan, Washington, Hawkins, Greene, Unicoi, Carter, and Johnson counties in Tennessee and Scott and Washington counties in Virginia). The project request application is available at mastergardener.tennessee.edu or via the paper report form also available on the website.
What Counts as a Volunteer Hour or CEU?
· CEU – one hour of learning about horticulture (you benefit) – round up to the nearest ½ hour. Examples include MG classes (not training classes for MG Interns), Extension programs, Garden Center programs, Garden Festivals, Guided Tours. Don’t count travel time or mileage.
· ACT hours – horticultural emphasis projects that benefit the community. UT Extension Programs such as 4-H and others are eligible volunteer hours. Count your travel time and mileage. Mileage is for your tax purposes only. You can register on the website and gain access after verification.
What are the Volunteer Levels?
· MG Intern – has completed MG training program but is still working on 40 hours.
· Certified MG – has reported required volunteer hours and CEUs.
· VIP MG – 3 continuous years of service – recognized with pin.
· 5 YR MG – 5 continuous years of service – recognized with pin.
· Lifetime – 10 continuous years of service – recognized with gold badge.**
**You can request inactive status one time without an interruption of your service time.
Don’t wear your UT Extension MG Name Badge when working for an employer.
Announcements should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MG Interns are automatically a NETMGA member for the first year. This includes the bi-monthly Newsletter and updates. MGs are encouraged to join, support, and get involved in NETMGA.
Where can I find Master Gardener information on the web?
· Northeast TN Master Gardener Association – www.netmga.net
· UT Extension Sullivan County – sullivan.tennessee.edu
· UT Extension – utextension.tennessee.edu
What is the Meeting Cancellation Policy in bad weather?
If Northeast State Community College classes are cancelled due to weather, NETMGA meetings and/or classes will be cancelled.
TENNESSEE STATE FLOWER
TENNESSEE STATE WILDFLOWER
TENNESSEE STATE WILDFLOWER
TENNESSEE STATE EVERGREEN
Eastern Red Cedar
TENNESSEE STATE TREE
TENNESSEE STATE FRUIT